For the Artist
Call For Artists
2022/23 Sculpture Exhibition
Moab, Utah ~September 24, 2021
Deadline August 1, 2022
Please read all the information below carefully before submitting your application
Thanks to continued and growing support from the community, City of Moab and Grand County, Moab ArTTrails is very pleased to invite artists to apply for consideration to be featured in The Fifth Annual Moab ArTTrails Sculpture Exhibition.
Overview: Moab is a world renowned destination in the high desert of the southeastern corner of Utah. Over a million visitors a year come to Moab lured by the stunning landscape, two national parks and myriad of outdoor activities available. Known as the “Adventure Capital of the World”, the discovery zone that is Moab includes a talented pool of creators: a vibrant arts scene built with the invested support of the community, and from city and county councils.
Since its inception in 2015, Moab ArTTrails annually rotating exhibition program has added over $90,000 of art to the public sphere. Nine sculptures have been acquired for the public permanent collection. As Moab's shared spaces experience record visitation, growth and change, the art invites a welcome contemplation and conversation among residents and visitors .
Moab ArTTrails will purchase a piece from this exhibition valued up to $12,000 for addition to the Moab City and Grand County permanent collection.
Up to ten artists will be chosen to display sculptures along a walking path through central Moab for the period of one year starting September 24, 2022. A musically accompanied ArtStroll with artists and public is scheduled that afternoon for a first look at the installation. Artists may submit up to 2 pieces for consideration. Selected artists will receive 2 nights deluxe lodging in Moab, a $700 honorarium, and all chosen works are eligible for a $1000 Best of Show award.
Mission: Moab ArTTrails conserves the cultural and economic health of the community through the exhibition and acquisition of enduring public artworks which connect beauty, people and place on shared trails through time .
- All selected artists will receive a $700 honorarium.
- Downtown accommodations will be provided for visiting artists the nights of Sep. 23-24 with an option for a homestay with local Moab patrons of the arts.
- Artists will be introduced and recognized with true appreciation at a reception held in their honor the night of Sep. 24, 2022
- Promotional plaques including artist’s website will be created for and installed with each piece.
- Artists will be featured on the Moab ArTTrails website
- All artwork must be an original creation by the artist and available for sale.
- Larger sculptures are prefered (at least 4' in height and no more than 6’ in width or depth). Three pedestals will be available for smaller pieces.
- Sculptures must be completed works and mounted, before delivery, to a suitable steel base(1/4in thick minimum) with at least 3 evenly spaced 1/2in bolt holes. Pedestals can accomodate a weldable base up to two square feet.
- Proposals for unmade sculpture will not be accepted. (works in progress will be considered if artist provides images showing an appropriate stage of completion. Call Michael @ 435-260-2794 if you have questions)
- Moab ArTTrails will receive a 25% commission for all pieces sold during the exhibition or as a direct result of the exhibition.
Selection Any and all artists are invited to submit up to 2 pieces for consideration. A selection committee comprised of visual artists, civic representatives, business leaders and members of the community will select the winning pieces based on the following criteria:
- Quality: first and foremost pieces must exhibit artistic excellence in conception, composition and execution.
- Durability: must be able to withstand the elemental forces of the high desert and vandalism with a minimum of maintenance.
- Safety: Works of art shall not create inordinate safety concerns for the general public, Moab ArTTrails or the City of Moab.
- Fit: As all selected pieces will be considered to become part of the permanent collection, aesthetic relevance to the surroundings and unique personality of the community will be considered.
- Call for Artists- May 24, 2022
- Deadline for Submissions- August 1, 2022 before midnight MDT
- Notification of Selection- August 16-23, 2022
- Installation and artists reception- September 24, 2022
Submission Requirements: Please submit the following:
- Completed application
- Up to four quality jpeg images(front, back, side, other), at least 1920 dpi on the longest side, for each sculpture submitted.
Name files with artist name, entry number and image number. E.G: smith1.1.jpg, smith1.2.jpg, smith2.3.jpg, etc..
Moab ArTTrails reserves the right to use images of selected artwork for publicity.
Submit here with the Online Application
For questions or additional information contact Michael Ford Dunton, Martt Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org , 435-260-2794 or Christy Williams, Martt Creative Director at email@example.com ,435-259-2709