For the Artist
Call For Artists
2019/20 Sculpture Exhibition
Moab, Utah ~October 12, 2019
Deadline August 18, 2019
Thanks to continued and growing support from the community, City of Moab and Grand County, Moab ArTTrails is pleased to invite artists to apply for consideration to be featured in The Third Annual Moab ArTTrails Sculpture Exhibition.
Overview: Moab is a world renowned destination in the high desert of the southeastern corner of Utah. Over a million visitors a year come to Moab lured by the stunning landscape, two national parks and myriad of outdoor activities available. Known as the “Adventure Capital of the World”, Moab also has a vibrant and growing art scene that enjoys invested support from the community, and from city and county councils.
The program continues to generate excitement: Moab ArTTrails has added over $80,000 of art to the public sphere. Since its inception in 2015, Nine sculptures have been acquired for the public permanent collection The art activates contemplation and conversation among residents and visitors as Moab’s shared spaces experience record visitation, growth and change.
Moab ArTTrails will purchase a piece from this exhibition valued up to $12,000 for addition to the Moab City and Grand County permanent collection.
Up to ten artists will be chosen to display sculptures along a walking path through central Moab for the period of one year starting October 12, 2019. Installation will coincide with the Red Rock Art Festival & Street Fair. A musically accompanied ArtStroll with artists and public is scheduled that afternoon for a first look at the installation. Artists may submit up to 2 pieces for consideration. Selected artists will receive 2 nights deluxe lodging in Moab, a $650 honorarium, and all chosen works are eligible for a $1000 Peoples' Choice award.
Mission: Moab ArTTrails conserves the cultural and economic health of the community through the exhibition and acquisition of enduring public artworks which connect beauty, people and place on shared trails through time .
- All selected artists will receive a $650 honorarium.
- Downtown accommodations will be provided for visiting artists the nights of Oct.11-12 with an option for a homestay with local Moab patrons of the arts.
- Artists will be introduced and recognized with true appreciation at a reception held in their honor the night of Oct. 12.
- Promotional plaques including artist’s website will be created for and installed with each piece.
- Artists will be featured on the Moab ArTTrails website
- All artwork must be an original creation by the artist and available for sale.
- Sculptures shall no less than 4' in height and no more than 6’ in width or depth. (smaller pieces will be considered if provided with a mountable pedestal).
- Sculptures must be mounted, before delivery, to a suitable steel base(1/4in thick minimum) with at least 3 evenly space 1/2in bolt holes
- Proposals for unmade sculpture will not be accepted. (works in progress will be considered if artist provides images showing an appropriate stage of completion)
- Moab ArTTrails will receive a 25% commission for all pieces sold during the exhibition or as a direct result of the exhibition.
Selection Any and all artists are invited to submit up to 2 pieces for consideration. A selection committee comprised of visual artists, civic representatives, business leaders and members of the community will select the winning pieces based on the following criteria:
- Quality: first and foremost pieces must exhibit artistic excellence in conception, composition and execution.
- Durability: must be able to withstand the elemental forces of the high desert and vandalism with a minimum of maintenance.
- Safety: Works of art shall not create inordinate safety concerns for the general public, Moab ArTTrails or the City of Moab.
- Fit: As all selected pieces will be considered to become part of the permanent collection, aesthetic relevance to the surroundings and unique personality of the community will be considered.
People’s Choice Through the duration of the exhibit, residents and visitors will be encouraged to vote for which sculpture they like the most. The winner will be the “People’s Choice” and will receive a $1000 award. The Ballot for peoples’ choice will include a narrative section which can help guide city planners in the feedback for development of the public collection and the public spaces that are important to community and deserving of artistic commemoration.
- Call for Artists- June 1, 2019
- Deadline for Submissions- August 18, 2019 before midnight MDT
- Notification of Selection- September 2-9, 2019
- Installation and artists reception- October 12, 2019
Submission Requirements: Please submit the following:
- Completed application
- Up to four quality jpeg images(front, back, side, other), at least 1920 dpi on the longest side, for each sculpture submitted.
Name files with artist name, entry number and image number. E.G: smith1.1.jpg, smith1.2.jpg, smith2.3.jpg, etc..
Moab ArTTrails reserves the right to use images of selected artwork for publicity.
Submit with the Online Application
submit by mail with a paper application and images on CD or thumbdrive send to:
MARTT 2017 Exhibition
Hc64 Box 1711
Castle Valley, Ut, 84532
Material sent by mail will only be returned if SASE is provided.
To submit electronically: Attach all documents to email and send to:
For questions or additional information contact Michael Ford Dunton, Martt Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org , 435-259-2709 or Christy Williams, Martt Creative Director at Christy@moabarttrails.org ,435-260-1464