For the Artist
Call For Artists
2018/19 Sculpture Exhibition
Moab, Utah ~October 13, 2018
Deadline August 18, 2018
Overview: Moab is a world renowned destination town in the high desert of the southeastern corner of
Utah. Over a million visitors a year come to Moab lured by the stunning landscape, two national parks and
myriad of outdoor activities available. Known as the “Adventure Capital of the World”, Moab also has a vibrant
and growing art scene that the community, city and county are enthusiastically investing in.
The very successful 2017 inaugural exhibition featured 16 sculptures by 11 artists from 5 different states has continued to generate excitement and conversation among residents and visitors. At least one of pieces will purchased and added to the permanent collection by the end of the summer and another piece is currently under negotiation for purchase by a private party.
With continued and growing support from the community, City of Moab and Grand County, Moab ArTTrails is pleased to invite artists to apply for consideration to be featured in the second annual Moab ArTTrails Sculpture Exhibition.
Up to ten artists will be chosen to display sculptures along a walking path through central Moab for the period of one year starting October 13, 2018. Installation will coincide with the Red Rock Art Festival & Street Fair and a walking tour with artists and public is scheduled that afternoon. Artists may submit up to 2 pieces for consideration and selected artists will receive a $500 honorarium.
Mission: Moab ArTTrails is a non-profit organization whose aim is to improve the lives of community members, inform and enrich visitor experience in the area and preserve the vibrant culture and resilient beauty of place through the exhibition and procurement of artworks for the public’s permanent collection. In keeping with this goal, Moab ArTTrails will purchase a piece from this exhibition valued up to $10,000 for addition to the Moab City and Grand County permanent collection.
- All selected artists will receive a $500 honorarium.
- Downtown accommodations will be provided for the nights of Oct.12-13 with an option for a homestay with local Moab patrons of the arts.
- Artists will be introduced and recognized at a reception held in their honor the night of Oct. 13.
- Promotional plaques including artist’s website will be created for and installed with each piece.
- Artists will be featured on the Moab ArTTrails website
- All artwork must be an original creation by the artist and available for sale.
- Sculptures shall no less than 4' in height and no more than 6’ in width or depth. (smaller pieces will be considered if provided with a mountable pedestal).
- Sculptures must be mounted, before delivery, to a suitable steel base(1/4in thick minimum) with at least 3 evenly space 1/2in bolt holes
- Proposals for unmade sculpture will not be accepted. (works in progress will be considered if artist can show an appropriate stage of completion)
- Moab ArTTrails will receive a 25% commission for all pieces sold during the exhibition or as a direct result of the exhibition.
Selection Any and all artists are invited to submit up to 2 pieces for consideration. A selection committee comprised of visual artists, civic representatives, business leaders and members of the community will select the winning pieces based on the following criteria:
- Quality: first and foremost pieces must exhibit artistic excellence in conception, composition and execution.
- Durability: must be able to withstand the elemental forces of the high desert and vandalism with a minimum of maintenance.
- Safety: Works of art shall not create inordinate safety concerns for the general public, Moab ArTTrails or the City of Moab.
- Fit: As all selected pieces will be considered to become part of the permanent collection, aesthetic relevance to the surroundings and unique personality of the community will be considered.
People’s Choice Through the duration of the exhibit, residents and visitors will be encouraged to vote for which sculpture they like the most. The winner will be the “People’s Choice” and will receive a $1000 award. The Ballot for peoples’ choice will include a narrative section which can help guide city planners in the feedback for development of the public collection and the public spaces that are important to community and deserving of artistic commemoration.
- Call for Artists- June 1, 2018
- Deadline for Submissions- August 18, 2018 before midnight MDT
- Notification of Selection- September 2-9, 2018
- Installation and artists reception- October 13, 2018
Submission Requirements: Please submit the following:
- Completed application
- Up to four quality jpeg images(front, back, side, other), at least 1920 dpi on the longest side, for each sculpture submitted.
Name files with artist name, entry number and image number. E.G: smith1.1.jpg, smith1.2.jpg, smith2.3.jpg, etc..
Moab ArTTrails reserves the right to use images of selected artwork for publicity.
Submit with the Online Application
submit by mail with a paper application and images on CD or thumbdrive send to:
MARTT 2017 Exhibition
Hc64 Box 1711
Castle Valley, Ut, 84532
Material sent by mail will only be returned if SASE is provided.
To submit electronically: Attach all documents to email and send to:
For questions or additional information contact Michael Ford Dunton, Martt Executive Director at email@example.com , 435-259-2709 or Christy Williams, Martt Creative Director at Christy@moabarttrails.org ,435-260-1464